Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Patient, patient and more patient


I've finished today a pair of earrings. I think I'm officially very patient person :o) well ... let's say not very very literary. I was doing project that wanted to show construction that comes in two steps: one object, then another object connected with the first and get the end product, it's like 1+2=3  :o) It sound simple, but with metal clay not always working because not all metals are friendly to each other. For example bronze and silver - very unfriendly to each other and you need a lot of experiments to get right proportions or positions to have nice end product and not pile of junk. Well.. lucky us (all metal clay artist) Hadar Jacobson did that dirty job and explained in her blog and books. In short, I've got construction OK, but the patina...... it looked like it took forever!!!! I did a few times Verdigris patina on the metal clay, but this time.... probably because details were small and just localized application, but it took me probably a week to get the needed color. Every day I would put a few layers of patina, then wait 12 hours to see developing, curse that metal clay is too porous and again apply a few layers and so on and so on :o((( One more thing, don't dry piece with wet patina on heated surface (like cup warmer) the patina dries off quickly and reaction stops. No cutting corners in this process. How I know that? of course I did try:o)

Caged Silver Drop

No comments:

Post a Comment