The cottage was built with materials that were available at that time or better to say - available - period.
We found that all walls - 2x4" thickness (today's standard is 2x6" ), insulation value max - R9, today's - R24. Because of insulation and building material inadequacy a lot of mold. So firs thing first: mold treatment and sealing the walls from inside. I used Mold Control + bleach.
Fire rated material around wood burning stove? They never heard about at that time. We covered all ceiling with fire rated drywall.
Meanwhile our working situation was always on alert because the dogs liked to explore the new neighborhood. Lucky us our neighbors all dog lovers, problem is the rabbits that dogs just go ballistic after them. So one day (it took one day) we just concentrated and installed fence. It was a GREAT relief.
For house re-wiring we hired professional electrician, so this part was almost easy (besides me crawling through the attic and helping electrician and my bill.
To seal all interior surface I used thin layer of spray foam DIY kit. It worked as sealer and vapor barrier. And just after that went with Roxul rock wool insulation.
Majority of old insulation I'm re-using to insulate floor from the crawl space. And I will tell you it's a dirty and very uncomfortable job. I'm not a little girl and 2 feet is not enough to work comfortably. And never work without head cover when working with spray foam. You can end with bald head. My hear dresser told not to say anybody who is my hear dresser because people will think that she is really a bad one. Part of my very short hair was cut even shorter
Archie hated when I went down into crawl space. Always tried "to rescue" me from the "darkness" :)
But there are always time for nice moments
Taste of nostalgic potato :)