Thursday, April 12, 2012

No-flake firing box


Long time ago I'd bought from cool tools no-flake firing box . Never needed enough so never had time to fold it. Now with all these experiments my doggie bowls ended very quickly, so I decided to try the foil box. It had one long 12x24"sheet. By instruction you need one 9x12"and another 9.5x12.5". I cut one 9x12"sheet out of piece and folded the base box (with some injuries to my fingers' flesh, this thing is reeeeeaaaally sharp!!!). Now in front of me I had one 12x12"sheet. I decided that if I use just another 9x12"I will have leftover of 6" that will work  perfectly as cover for the boxes (that will close, but not very tightly, the box). So I folded another box, just with lower walls and a little bigger base (both second folds should be shorter than half). The second box I will be able o use as tight cover for first or as a separate box, even better I can stack them one on another and have perfect size in height for my FireFly.  




Long time ago everybody would point that box should be tightly closed, then came some experiments and notes not to close or leave pre-opened lid, or perforate the lid to let the fumes out. With many years my stainless steel lid became very wavy and box never was tightly closed, but I didn't see that causing failures in firing. That means - pre-closed box is OK. Point is - now I have two firing boxes:o)
I've tested the box- NO flakes! Cool!!!



P.S. Some update for the no-flakes box. Hmmm... not sure if I like the "expiration date". Very short:o( after ~5 month of use, all box full of holes. It took ~ 4 years for stainless steel box and a year or two for dollar store steel bowls to get holes. So... my excitement ended pretty much quickly. Back to flakes:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment