Monday, November 12, 2012

Custom made rubber stamps, anyone?



To work with metal clay usually I use my own designed/carved texture plates. Depending on design it could be from polymer clay, 2 parts molding silicone or simple eraser piece. Polymer clay and silicone you can put on some natural or made texture, also polymer can be carved, so can be carved eraser. Plus of polymer - you can dry metal clay "in situ" on warmer, eraser - no no. Believe me I know, I tried:o) that means, I simple forgot that plate was on and I was dealing with rubber. Rubber melted, texture plate was ruined. One little problem with carving is that you need to draw by hand on the plate (or I thought so). 


Recently I was looking for rubber stamp for my wool slippers, for the size and idea that I wanted, prices were astronomical or maybe  I looked at the wrong places?! Then I remembered about lino cutting during university times and decided to try on big rubber eraser (I was too lazy to go out to look for linoleum). One problem though - the picture transfer. Mighty  google did find the solution here . I found piece of parchment and followed step by step instructions. It worked perfect. One adjustment though, after first long "play" with Irfanview I decided to go easy way-just printed draft mode, and had perfect results. One problem with rubber eraser - it's too soft ,  hard to carve small fonts. But here are my attempts, almost readable:o) 

Next will try the linoleum, but foresee the problem- lack of rubber's flexibility if you want the stamp right on the carton box. Will see....

No comments:

Post a Comment